Happy Humpday! I thought I’d share one of my favorite morning and mid-day snacks with you since to get you through the rest of the week.
This recipe is passed on from Davin’s uncle Daren, to his mom’s recipe card box, where I stole it from a few years ago, and now onto you!
Davin’s mom calls it “Daren’s Absolutely Delicious Healthy Muffins” so that should give you an idea of how they taste. 😉
I love these because they’re super moist, you can easily add or omit the ‘garnishes’ in the recipe like the slivered almond or raisins, and because they freeze great. I pop them in the microwave on defrost for a few seconds just enough to warm them up, put a little bit of butter on it and they’re so so good.
This recipe makes a LOT of muffins, about four dozen+ large sized. The last time I made them I got three and a half dozen medium muffins and 24 mini muffins, the perfect snack size for Lyric.
As always, I change recipes to better suit my taste or what’s in my pantry, so this is how I make them. I’ll note what the original recipe calls for in the bottom.
- 2 cups of Raisin Bran cereal
- 2 cups of General Mills Oatmeal Crisp (Almond) cereal
- 1/2 cup of flax seed
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of slivered almonds
- 2 cups of raisins
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 4 cups of milk
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup of molasses
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix both cereals, flax seed & rolled oats in an extra large bowl and stir in boiling water - let stand for 15 minutes
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking power, salt, almonds & raisins together then add to cereal mixture
- Cream together the butter & brown sugar
- Beat the eggs into the butter mixture one at a time then add the milk, then molasses - stir into cereal & flour mixture
- Stir well and pour into greased muffin tins (These don't tend to rise very much so don't be afraid to fill them right up)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and let cool for 5 before removing
The original calls for 2 cups of Muslix cereal vs Oatmeal Crisp but I can never easily find it and I always seem to have the latter in my pantry Davin hates raisins so I started pouring half of the batter into tins, then adding only 1 cup of raisins to the remaining mixture before pouring the rest
Enjoy with a cup of Black Stripe Coffee and you’re GOLDEN! 😉