Halleluiah – our kitchen is FINALLY done! After what has seemed like forever, I can finally cross this project off the list. To see part one of this post which has the preparation details and list of products and paint I used, go here.
There’s two reason why this reno took longer than it should have. The first being the daunting task of finding the proper hinges we needed then waiting four weeks for them to come in, and the other being that I am the most indecisive person on the face of the planet. Seriously…and sometimes it comes back to bite me in the ass.
The plan was to do all of the cabinets grey, but when I put the first finish coat on the upper wall cabinets (sans doors), I realized that the more I looked at it, the more I liked the uppers grey and the lowers white (still just primer at this point). I waited a day or two before deciding whether or not to continue with the grey, but eventually it just made sense for the bottoms to be white. I think it would have been far too dark if everything was grey and looked odd with so little grey in between all of the white appliances. This should have been so obvious in the first place considering the ones on the opposite side of the kitchen are already white, but that’s what I get for doing spur-of-the-moment projects leaving no time for planning!
The depressing thing about my better-late-than-never revelation (that’s what I’m calling it to make myself feel better) was that I had already painted ALL of the cabinet doors grey. So three weeks later, after dragging my ass to re-paint half of the doors from grey to white, we could finish the lower half of the kitchen. (The upper half was completely done this entire time, by the way. So at least one half of the kitchen looked good…)
Even with all the extra work, refinishing our wood cabinets was so worth it, and a two-tone kitchen makes perfect sense in the space. What a huge difference! I’m so happy I went with my gut and changed my mind, even if it had poor timing.
So for the finish coats I used a trim & door paint which went on nicely with the perfect sheen. After a few coats (and one trip to the store to have the grey re-tinted so it was less purple) the doors were done and ready to be hung. I wanted all new hinges (the old ones were a rusty brass color) but our house was built in the late 70’s so the kitchen hardware was almost impossible to replace. The hinges are so old they slide into a hole machined in the door and a screw tightens it closed, then of course you have to fasten it to the wall cabinet. (It’s okay – I don’t expect you to have any idea what I’m talking about unless you’ve had to work with them before.) Anyways, installing them was NOT an easy task and I almost killed my husband that day. They’re called “single demountable” hinges and they are the devil! I was able to order new ones through work though in the brushed chrome color I wanted, so I’m happy. The door pulls were pretty straight forward, we just had to drill the holes and screw them on.
I think they look amazing and completely transformed not just our kitchen, but the entire living room and dining space since it’s all open-concept. This might actually be my favorite renovation we’ve done in the house so far!
As a finishing touch Davin added new LED under-cabinet lighting. =)