I’ve always wanted to make a floral crown but never really had a reason to. I mean, I suppose I could have made one and worn it around the house, but sadly that thought never really came to mind until now. I knew I was going to do a mini photo-shoot with Lyric on her half birthday and I figured that was as good a time as any to try my hand at a DIY floral crown for my C-U-T-I-E pie.
I was shocked at how easy it was. And fun! I really enjoyed making it and would have like to make a dozen more all with different flowers.
Here’s the easy peasy steps to making your very own:
- A variety of fresh flowers
- Stem wire
- Floral tape
- Floral wire
- Wire cutters (not pictured)
Bend one of the stem wires into a circle the size and shape of the head that’s going to wear it. Make sure to let it rest exactly where you want it to sit when it’s finished before trimming any excess length with wire cutters and securing the ends together with floral tape.
Now the fun part of picking out all of the flowers for the crown and arranging them. I started with one stem of a spider mum then added to it from there. It was way too large so I pulled off some of the outer layers of the pedals then secured the base with floral tape.
Arrange the flowers into two arrangements and place them along the stem wire halo to see if you like how it looks. Use the floral wire to secure each arrangement together. (Try to ensure the wires end on the top of the halo and not where any sharp edges will touch your head.)
Then place them back on the halo and use more floral wire to secure it in place.
I started at the stems of the arrangement then worked my way towards the flowers threading the wire between them and it worked really well at keeping the whole thing in place.
Now that that’s done, now is when you can add any additional flowers or greenery to fill any gaps. I simply pushed the new stems in between those in the bunches that I had already secured, to avoid having to use any more wire.
When you’re finished, trim the stems along the halo.
Use floral tape to wrap around the wire to conceal the wire and any sharp portions. Then I used a leaf to wrap around the stem and cover the tape on both sides.
Done! If I remember correctly this took me less than an hour and I was fascinated with the look of it when it was done! I can’t wait for an excuse to make another one!